October Disability Employment Awareness Month
Join us in October for three workshops:
Developed by disabled employees and allies, this workshop series strives to educate the broader Stanford community on Disability as a diverse and highly individualized identity and experience. With such a strong emphasis on workplace performance, disabled employees are often marginalized and rendered invisible as stigma and/or fear of being seen as a burden impede them from requesting access to the supports needed to reach their fullest potential.This workshop series aims to foster community and belonging among disabled staff and allies at Stanford. While attendance at individual workshops is welcomed, for the richest experience, attendees are encouraged to join the Disability Staff Forum for the complete series of workshops.
- Tuesday, Oct 4th, 12pm-1:30pm PST via Zoom: DISABLED ISN'T A BAD WORD: A WORKSHOP ON DISABILITY, ADVOCACY, AND COMMUNITY
- This workshop is the first workshop hosted by the Disability Staff Forum on disability in the workplace. In this workshop, all Stanford employees are invited to learn more about the history of disability advocacy in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, especially in the workplace, the disability community at Stanford, and supportive resources available to folks throughout and beyond the accommodations process. From this and future workshops, attendees will also become comfortable with engaging in disability advocacy.
- Tuesday, Oct 11th, 12pm-1:30pm PST via Zoom: A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO REQUESTING & NAVIGATING THE DISABILITY ACCOMMODATIONS PROCESS
- Employees will leave this workshop with clear guidance on how to seek disability-related accommodations. You will learn your role and responsibilities in initiating and facilitating the process, grow as a self-advocate with increased clarity on your rights and expectations from involved parties, and familiarize yourself with resources designed to support you along the way.
- Tuesday, Oct 25th, 12pm-1:30pm PST via Zoom: A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO SUPPORTING EMPLOYEES THROUGH THE DISABILITY ACCOMMODATIONS PROCESS
- This workshop is intended for Stanford employees who seek to grow as advocates and allies in understanding the disability accommodations process at Stanford. In this workshop, attendees will explore practical ways that supervisors, colleagues, and HR staff and managers can support and honor disabled employees’ needs and experiences. Register here.
More October Disability Employment Awareness Events:
Navigating an Academic Career with a Disability October 3, 2022
ADHD: Understanding a Shared Experience October 6, 2022
Stanford Neurodiversity Summit 2022 October 23-25, 2022